37K accounts set up for NJ Internet gambling
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - November 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- In addition to the usual holiday traditions, gamblers found time to create 5,000 new Internet betting accounts on Thanksgiving.
Since a test of online betting began in New Jersey on Nov. 21, the state Division of Gaming Enforcement says 32,277 had been created accounts as of Thursday. About 5,000 of those accounts were added on Thursday.
Regulators could not immediately say how many different gamblers actually made bets online. Some users have created accounts with more than one gambling site.
Full statewide Internet gambling began Monday afternoon in New Jersey.
It marks the biggest expansion of gambling in New Jersey since the first Atlantic City casino opened in 1978.
New Jersey is the third state in the nation to offer online gambling, after Nevada and Delaware.
New Jersey lets gamblers play any of the games offered in its 12 casinos including card games and slots.
Matthew Pineault of Ridgewood in Bergen County, has enjoyed playing online poker with several sites, but said he favors the World Series of Poker site run by Caesars Entertainment - a site that drew praise from many players during its first week of operation.
"I haven't had the time I would like to play, but turned my $250 deposit into almost $1,200," he said. "I requested a cash-out of my original deposit ($250) and that went fairly seamlessly. I had to send them a copy of my bank statement, but they were willing to accept a picture and that was easier for me. I still haven't seen the funds but it's only been 3 days, so no concerns yet. "
Six Atlantic City casinos - the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa; the Tropicana Casino and Resort; Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino; the Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort; Bally's Atlantic City and Caesars Atlantic City - were the first to be approved for online gambling in New Jersey. The Golden Nugget Atlantic City decided to wait a week to launch its online betting while it works out last-minute problems with some systems.
new jersey news, casinos, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 29 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
58 min ago