Travelers head home after Thanksgiving holiday
PHILADELPHIA - December 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Sunday has been a busy day by rail, road and in the air as people get back to their lives after the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
"I booked my ticket last night," said Donna Shure.
Shure is one of the lucky ones who managed to get a last minute Amtrak ticket on one of the busiest travel days of the year.
According to AAA, more than 40 million hit every mode of transportation for the Thanksgiving holiday this year and one third of them traveling Sunday.
Area roadways were heavy at times but weather cooperated this year making the trek home a smooth one.
At Philadelphia International Airport the day began with long lines at times but overall no major complaints.
Back at 30th Street Station, where many trains were booked solid, even those who booked ahead like sisters Maddie and Melissa Bagley don't know if they'll be sitting.
"I don't know if I'm going to get a seat on the train. I didn't last year so I'm hoping I do this year," said Maddie.
Their parents waited with the girls before their Washington D.C. bound train, with mom a little nervous over the tragic news about the NY train derailment on her mind.
"I turned it off on the radio on the way down. I didn't want to hear it, you gotta put it into perspective there are so many trains everyday," said Jane Bagley.
Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel.
Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.
philadelphia news, travel, air travel, holidays, local/state, annie mccormick
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 17 min ago
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington 37 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 59 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
17 min ago