2 thugs viciously attack man in Mayfair
MAYFAIR - December 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say two men viciously attacked a 63-year-old man Sunday, seemingly at random.
Police say the victim was walking on the 4400 block of Wellington Street in the city's Mayfir section when he was attacked. He was hit in the back of the head and knocked to the ground. The attackers then started kicking him.
Investigators say say one of the men appeared to be recording the incident with his cellphone.
Neighborhood resident Christopher Opie says, "I really hope the cops catch him before the neighbor watch does, because, I'm going to feel bad for the guy. I can tell ya that much."
There have been a series of similar attacks here and around the country related to what's being called the "Knockout Game." However, police aren't sure that's what they're dealing with here.
Usually it's teenagers. The attackers in this case were 20 to 25-years-old. They were scared off by a woman who started screaming, so, the police feel it may have been an interrupted robbery.
Whatever the case, it has rocked the neighborhood.
Neighborhood resident Lynn Glynn says, "How people can get so unconcerned with the wellbeing of others. It's like, where has humanity disappeared to?"
Police are still looking for the two attackers and possibly two other men who were apparently recording the incident on their cellphones from across the street.
In the meantime, police are advising people to be extra careful when they are out and about in this neighborhood.
philadelphia news, mayfair news, beating, local/state
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 3 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more