Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- The mother of an alleged restaurant robber - who was stabbed by the owner - said she understands why the victim fought back.
The robbery happened at Terryin Sushi Bar in the 300 block of Snyder Avenue in South Philadelphia around 4:00 p.m. Thursday.
The suspect, identified by his mother as Tishon Jones, allegedly entered and put a gun to the restaurant owner's face.
That owner responded by grabbing a sushi knife and stabbing him.
Jones was hospitalized and police say he has been charged.
Speaking to Action News Jones' mother, Tanya Warren, said she has since spoken to the restaurant owner, saying she understands why he attacked her son.
"I'm friends with the owner. I told him 'Do what you have to do,'" Warren said. "I'm shocked that my son did this, because I'm very hands-on with my son and for him to do this - it just hurts me right about now."
A woman who works at the daycare next door called 911 and said she is relieved the suspect won't be back.
When asked if there was a sense of relief knowing an arrest had been made, the woman said, "To know that my babies are coming out of my daycare center safe, and my parents are? Oh yes. Definitely."
Police said the incident Thursday was the third times Jones robbed the sushi bar.
The first robbery happened on Wednesday, November 20th around 10:00 p.m. when police say he grabbed the tip jar with $30 inside and fled wearing a skull mask.
Then on Sunday, December 1st, the man allegedly entered the store armed with a gun and ran out with $400 from the cash register.
Police also believe he is responsible for a robbery at another Asian-owned business - Lyn Grocery in the 2000 block of South 4th Street. There, again armed with a gun, he allegedly made off with $50 in cash.
He is also suspected in a robbery at South View Pizza in the 300 block of Durfor Street. Again, with a gun, he allegedly made off with about $500.
south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, robbery, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- Milder this afternoon 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs