2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police now have two people in custody for allegedly stealing Christmas packages from a South Philadelphia neighborhood.
28-year-old Amanda Beason, who lives around the corner from where the crime occurred, surrendered earlier today and is charged with theft, receiving stolen property, and conspiracy. Her male accomplice surrendered this evening and will likely face similar charges.
Surveillance cameras on the front of a row home in the 2900 block of South 17th Street show the two suspects pull up in a white SUV.
The suspects arrived just moments after FedEx delivered packages containing Christmas presents -luggage and a keyboard- to two homes on the block.
Next, the man is seen walking to one home - Beason to another - and each takes a package from inside the front door and the pair leaves.
Action News talked to the victims on Thursday night.
"It's supposed to be a happy time. You go to work every day to save for this occasion and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth," said one resident.
Police tell Action News that when the video aired, Beason's friends recognized her and told her to turn herself in.
"She contacted the detectives here at south detectives early this morning. She showed up with the two packages and herself and surrendered," said Capt. Larry Nodiff.
Residents reacted to the news.
"It's a shame she's from the neighborhood. She's gonna have to live around here for the rest of her life," said Bob Campbell.
"Thank God for the cameras - they're gonna get you one way or another," said Domenic Venezia.
FedEx told Action News the company knows packages are popular targets for thieves so they encourage customers to take steps to make sure deliveries stay safe.
"If you know you're not going to be there, you can either choose a hold-at option, where you can either pick up a package from FedEx Express or office location or you can leave us directions for exactly where at your location you need your package to be left," said Shelly Joyson, FedEx Express manager.
philadelphia news, south philadelphia news, christmas, theft, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man