Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death
READING, Pa. - December 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- An eastern Pennsylvania woman has been sentenced to two to 23 months in prison for giving her baby granddaughter a fatal dose of morphine to ease the baby's teething pain.
Fifty-three-year-old Penny Kochel said before her sentencing Friday in Berks County Court that she wishes she'd have died instead of 14-month-old Leanna McEntee.
Leanna died of a lethal dose of morphine at Kochel's Heidelberg Township home in May 2009. Kochel pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter.
Kochel initially claimed she gave the baby a teething tablet and rubbed tequila on her gums to numb the pain. Toxicology tests showed the baby had morphine in her system.
Defense attorney James Polyak said his client had morphine because she was caring for her ill brother, who died two weeks after Leanna.
pennsylvania news, berks county news, homicide, baby death, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 54 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 38 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 58 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 58 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 58 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
54 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
58 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
58 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos