Delaware troopers warn retailers about $100 bill scam
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware police are warning retailers to be on the lookout for a Philadelphia man they say has scammed several area merchants.
Police say 68-year-old Warren Sampson has hit at least 8 stores in November and December with the same quick change scam.
They say Sampson usually purchases a small item in the store using a $100 bill. When the transaction is complete, he tells the cashier that he received incorrect change and initiates a series of rapid money exchanges with the cashier in an attempt to correct the mistake.
Police say once Sampson leaves the store, the cashier realizes that he left with the merchandise, the change and the original $100 bill.
In at least one other case, police say Sampson did not make a purchase, but asked the cashier to make change for the $100 bill. He then tells the cashier he has received too much change, creates a distraction and leaves the store with the change and the $100 bill.
He is described as well-dressed, engaging, and friendly, and sometimes distracts the cashiers by complementing them or asking them to write down information for him.
Warrants have been issued for Sampson's arrest on several counts of theft.
Troopers are warning merchants to be vigilant of anytime of scams during the holiday season, and they are asking anyone with information about Sampson's whereabouts to contact Troop 1 Retail Theft Unit at 302-528-4339 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333.
Troopers have obtained warrants for Sampson's arrest on several counts of theft.
scam, money, wilmington news, new castle county news, delaware news, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 48 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 13 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 13 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 13 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
48 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
13 min ago