Delaware troopers warn retailers about $100 bill scam
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware police are warning retailers to be on the lookout for a Philadelphia man they say has scammed several area merchants.
Police say 68-year-old Warren Sampson has hit at least 8 stores in November and December with the same quick change scam.
They say Sampson usually purchases a small item in the store using a $100 bill. When the transaction is complete, he tells the cashier that he received incorrect change and initiates a series of rapid money exchanges with the cashier in an attempt to correct the mistake.
Police say once Sampson leaves the store, the cashier realizes that he left with the merchandise, the change and the original $100 bill.
In at least one other case, police say Sampson did not make a purchase, but asked the cashier to make change for the $100 bill. He then tells the cashier he has received too much change, creates a distraction and leaves the store with the change and the $100 bill.
He is described as well-dressed, engaging, and friendly, and sometimes distracts the cashiers by complementing them or asking them to write down information for him.
Warrants have been issued for Sampson's arrest on several counts of theft.
Troopers are warning merchants to be vigilant of anytime of scams during the holiday season, and they are asking anyone with information about Sampson's whereabouts to contact Troop 1 Retail Theft Unit at 302-528-4339 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333.
Troopers have obtained warrants for Sampson's arrest on several counts of theft.
scam, money, wilmington news, new castle county news, delaware news, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 56 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 23 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 21 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 22 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
56 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
40 min ago