'Hauling Away Hunger' at Citizens Bank Park
PHILADELPHIA - December 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- They were hauling food at Citizens Bank Park Friday afternoon and lots of it. It was Toyota's 7th annual "Hauling Away Hunger Food Drive".
The convoy of trucks circled parking lot P and Citizens Bank Park hauling food donated by 20 partners and sponsors including 6abc.
"We're looking at 81,000 pounds coming in, and it couldn't come at a better time," said Bill Clark, Philabundance President.
One-by-one 48 Toyota Tundras unloaded their food haul onto the forklift pallet.
More than 35 tons of food, including cornbread, rice, peas, tuna, and peanut butter, will become meals for a growing number of hungry residents in the Delaware Valley.
"It is what needs to be done, but this goes on another 51 weeks a year," said Paul Muller, President of Tri-State Toyota. "What we're trying to get across is these people need help all year long, not just at Christmas."
Toyota has been donating for seven years and has tripled its offering this year.
The Phillie Phanatic offered his support; so did Swoop, the Eagles' mascot and Bluewinkle, from the Wilmington Blue Rocks.
Friday's donation will last into the holiday season.
"A contribution like this really makes me sleep a lot better," said Clark.
But Philabundance needs more people to help keep the giving going.
"We're really concerned about how long our inventory will last as we enter into the New Year," he said.
If you'd like to help Philabundance "Haul away Hunger" visit http://www.philabundance.org/
food, philadelphia news, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 14 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 26 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Officials: Feb. pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 11 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 31 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
26 min ago