ID released of man killed on Pennsylvania Turnpike
MORGANTOWN, Pa. - December 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- State Police have released the identity of the man who was killed Sunday on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
35-year-old Andrew Fisher was an internal medicine specialist affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
It was around 12:30 p.m. when Fisher was involved in a minor collision at mile marker 300.8 westbound on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in West Nantmeal, Chester County.
Fisher got out of his vehicle and walked back to check on the condition of others involved in the crash. That's when police say 72-year-old Susanne Case of Trenton approached the scene in her vehicle, swerved to the berm to avoid striking the people standing in the roadway, and ended up hitting Fisher as he stood on the right embankment.
He died at the scene.
A dozen more vehicles were then involved in an accident approaching the crash scene and several more occured in the backlog.
At least 56 vehicles in total were involved in multiple accidents between the Downingtown and Morgantown interchanges and officials say the weather has been the blame.
Of the dozens of vehicles involved, about 30 of them had to be towed from the scene. The Pa. Turnpike was shut down for hours due to the major accident but has since reopened at 7:00 p.m.
In other parts of the region, at least four accidents were reported on I-476 early Sunday afternoon and three more on I-95 in Delaware County.
The Blue Route at Route 320 in Nether Providence, Delaware County was completely shutdown for a time.
The Action Cam caught the Widener University track team pushing a truck around 2:00 p.m. at the intersection of Route 320 and 22nd Street in Chester City.
Overall, Action News viewers reported road backups all over region.
pennsylvania news, severe weather, snow, rain, ice storm, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 51 min ago
- Milder Monday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 51 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 18 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 23 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 51 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
51 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
18 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
29 min ago
- Milder Monday
21 min ago