Police: Man wasn't at casino before being robbed, shot
PHILADELPHIA - December 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police now say that the man who claimed to have been abducted, robbed and shot after leaving a Philadelphia casino, was never actually at the casino.
The attack happened around 11:30 p.m. Sunday when a group of men traveling in a white van marked "Soft Touch Cleaning Service" opened fire on the man while he was driving near 49th Street and Springfield Avenue.
The victim's car crashed into a utility pole.
The men allegedly jumped out, bound the victim's ankles and wrists with duct tape and drove him to the 7400 block of Summerdale Avenue behind Northeast High School.
The victim was beaten and shot again at that location then robbed of $3,800, police say.
The suspects left the man and fled.
The 38-year-old victim was rushed to Aria Health/Torresdale, where he is listed in critical condition.
He initially told police that he was attacked shortly after leaving SugarHouse Casino. However, investigators learned that the he was never at the casino Sunday night.
In addition, a second person who was in the vehicle with the victim at the time of the attack was uninjured.
Police now say this whole incident was the result of a drug deal gone bad.
By Monday afternoon investigators had linked the incident to a torched van found in the 4700 block of Melon Street in West Philadelphia.
abduction, robbery, shooting, philadelphia news, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 55 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 12 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 4 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 21 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 58 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 24 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
24 min ago