NC limousine driver charged in wreck that killed Philadelphia newlyweds
PHILADELPHIA - December 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in North Carolina have charged the driver of a limousine involved in a wreck that killed a Philadelphia couple.
The Asheville Police Department said Tuesday that 46-year-old Rodney Koon of Asheville is charged with two counts of felony death by motor vehicle and driving while impaired.
Koon is free on a $55,000 unsecured bond. It's not known whether he has an attorney.
Authorities say 26-year-old Will Reid and his 25-year-old wife, Jamie, died when the town car they were riding in ran off Interstate 26 on Aug. 11 and hit a tree. The Reids were in town for a friend's wedding.
According to the funeral home's online obituary, Will and Jamie were married in Philadelphia on May 26, 2013.
Will was a math teacher with People for People Charter School in Philadelphia and was the Valedictorian for Phillipsburg High School Class of 2005.
Jamie taught writing and literature and was most recently teaching at Harrity Elementary, a Mastery Charter School in Philadelphia. She also earned a Masters degrees in Urban Education from the University of Pennsylvania.
Jamie and Will graduated together in May 2012.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia news, marriage, north carolina, accident, local/state
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 24 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 37 min ago