Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in the carjacking of a taxi on Broad Street in South Philadelphia early Wednesday morning.
22-year-old Albert Washington was arrested Thursday at his residence on the 5800 block of Malvern Avenue and charged with Carjacking, Fleeing Police and related offenses.
The incident occurred just past 2:00 a.m. at the Hess gas station in the 600 block of South Broad Street.
Police say Washington appeared out of nowhere, throwing the taxi driver to the ground and then jumped in the cab and drove away.
Washington then allegedly fled down North Broad Street toward Philadelphia City Hall, all awhile being tracked by GPS.
The cab was spotted by police a short time later in the 5600 block of Diamond Street in the city's Wynnefield section.
Police say the suspect was driving erratically and tried to ram the taxi into a police cruiser.
He then crashed into several parked cars along the street, jumped out of the cab and fled.
Officer gave chase on foot but lost the suspect around 58th and Malvern.
K-9 dogs were brought in, and investigators were checking surveillance cameras and talking to witnesses as the search for the suspect continued.
Investigators were later able to identify the suspect as Albert Washington.
The taxi driver was not seriously injured.
carjacking, south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Frost Advisory Overnight 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 56 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 55 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
58 min ago