Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in the carjacking of a taxi on Broad Street in South Philadelphia early Wednesday morning.
22-year-old Albert Washington was arrested Thursday at his residence on the 5800 block of Malvern Avenue and charged with Carjacking, Fleeing Police and related offenses.
The incident occurred just past 2:00 a.m. at the Hess gas station in the 600 block of South Broad Street.
Police say Washington appeared out of nowhere, throwing the taxi driver to the ground and then jumped in the cab and drove away.
Washington then allegedly fled down North Broad Street toward Philadelphia City Hall, all awhile being tracked by GPS.
The cab was spotted by police a short time later in the 5600 block of Diamond Street in the city's Wynnefield section.
Police say the suspect was driving erratically and tried to ram the taxi into a police cruiser.
He then crashed into several parked cars along the street, jumped out of the cab and fled.
Officer gave chase on foot but lost the suspect around 58th and Malvern.
K-9 dogs were brought in, and investigators were checking surveillance cameras and talking to witnesses as the search for the suspect continued.
Investigators were later able to identify the suspect as Albert Washington.
The taxi driver was not seriously injured.
carjacking, south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 53 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 52 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 12 min ago
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 54 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
50 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
52 min ago