3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
LAWRENCE TWP., N.J. - December 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Three people are dead and the driver is facing more charges following a horrific crash on I-95 in Mercer County this morning.
19-year-old Luis Delcid-Cardona of Hamilton, New Jersey is charged with Death by Automobile and Driving While Intoxicated.
Police say the Volkswagen GTS being driven by Delcid-Cardona was traveling southbound on I-95 around 1:00 a.m. when it crossed several lanes, hopped the median, spun around and crashed into a tractor-trailer that had parked on the side of the road several minutes earlier.
Two women in the backseat of the Volkswagen were killed. They are identified as 20-year-old Nicole Rodrigues of Yardville and 18-year-old Samantha Belliveau - both recent graduates of Steinert High School.
Belliveau was ejected from the vehicle, Rodriguez partially ejected. Investigators say neither was wearing a seatbelt.
The front seat passenger, 19-year-old Jonathan Rivas of Princeton, was taken to Capital Health with what police described as extremely grave injuries. He later died.
Police say Delcid-Cardona fled the scene and ran to his cousin's home in Lawrence where he was apprehended.
Delcid-Cardona is under police guard at the hospital.
The Mercer County Prosecutor's Office is now working with New Jersey State Police on the investigation.
accident, mercer county news, new jersey news, local/state
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police