Pa. prosecutors plan to file charge in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
STROUDSBURG, Pa. (AP) - December 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania prosecutor says charges will be filed in the death of a New York City college student during a fraternity ritual.
Monroe County District Attorney David Christine says he won't decide on which charges to file until police finish their investigation into the death of 19-year-old Chun "Michael" Deng.
Deng was a freshman at Baruch College. He died Monday, a day after friends brought him to the hospital.
Christine said Thursday that Deng was forced to run a gauntlet blindfolded and with a heavy weight on his back. The teenager suffered a fatal brain injury.
Deng was one of four pledges to the Pi Delta Psi fraternity. About 30 fraternity members spent the weekend at a rented house in the Poconos.
The college says it had no knowledge about the event.
pennsylvania news, hazing, new york city, college, poconos, local/state
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 31 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 43 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos