Philadelphia man arrested for 200 counts of insurance fraud
MONTGOMERY CO., Pa. - December 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a man on multiple counts of insurance fraud in Montgomery County.
Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Berman said Marshal Perlman of Philadelphia was arrested Thursday for more than 200 counts of insurance fraud, along with multiple counts of other offenses including identity theft and forgery.
Montgomery County detectives determined that Perlman was doing business as a licensed claims adjuster at Claimstar, Inc. in Lower Merion Township.
The investigation revealed that Perlman stole over $700,000 in insurance proceeds from various clients.
Police say Perlman would assist homeowners and business owners in resolving insurance claims resulting in monetary settlements.
Officials say he settled 29 claims between September 2010 and 2013, at least 10 of them from damages from Hurricane Sandy. But instead of forwarding the settlement to his clients, Perlman would forge their signatures and deposit the settlement checks.
Perlman got away with $711,133.58.
Perlman is being held on $175,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for December 19th.
fraud, montgomery county news, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts. 50 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping 28 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
50 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
4 min ago
- Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
28 min ago