Teen claims injuries during Philadelphia police pat down
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 18, 2014 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey says the department is investigating claims that a 16-year-old boy's testicle was ruptured by an officer during a pat-down search - but says the youth's attorney won't let investigators interview him.
Ramsey says police want to interview the teen so they can "find out what happened."
The attorney for 16-year-old Darrin Manning, says the Jan. 7 incident amounted to a "sexual assault."
That attorney, Lewis Small, says Manning was with his teammates on a subway, on their way to play in a school basketball game.
Police say one student caught police attention - though they haven't said why or how - and the youths scattered as police approached. Manning was frisked and claims he was injured when a female officer roughly grabbed his crotch.
Manning faces resisting arrest and other charges.
philadelphia police, philadelphia news, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police