$4,500 stolen in South Philadelphia home invasion
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the men who stormed into an elderly couple's South Philadelphia home and got away with thousands of dollars.
Around 5:00 p.m. police say three men forced their way into a home on the 2100 block of Howard Street and roughed up the victims.
"Two doors away from me, friends of mine are being robbed. It's sickening and it's sad and it's the world we live in," said John Sullivan, neighbor.
The thieves held down the couple, ripped the phone line out of the wall and searched for cash.
Investigators say they got away with $4,500 and a coin collection.
Only Action News was there as detectives spent the evening inside the home investigating.
"They're friends. I love them. They were good friends of my grandfather, who just passed away last week, and I think this is horrible, absolutely horrible," said Sullivan.
The female victim was so shaken up, paramedics transported her to Jefferson University Hospital to be checked out.
Neighbors don't know why anyone would want to target the couple, they've been retired for quite some time and help keep an eye on the street.
"They watch us park our cars. They make sure the cars are parked okay, just nice people," said Kathy Gibson, neighbor.
Police are still investigating and are hoping to find survellience video from the area.
philadelphia news, south philadelphia news, home invasion, robbery, local/state
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry