Fatal NJ mall carjacking victim named; SUV found
SHORT HILLS, N.J. - December 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have identified the victim in a fatal carjacking outside an upscale New Jersey shopping mall.
Authorities in Essex County say 30-year-old Hoboken resident Dustin Friedland was shot in the parking garage of The Mall at Short Hills after 9 p.m. Sunday. He was pronounced dead at a hospital shortly before midnight.
Friedland's wife was with him during the shooting but was not wounded.
Police say two men drove off in the couple's silver Range Rover. The SUV was found Monday morning in Newark, on a residential street in the city's southern section a few blocks from Interstate 78, about eight miles from the mall.
The carjackers are still at large.
A local anti-crime organization is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to their arrest and conviction.
new jersey news, shooting, carjacking, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 43 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 18 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball