Busiest shipping day of the year for U.S. Postal Service, other carriers
CENTER CITY - December 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Today, Monday, marks the busiest day of the holiday season for shipping packages.
The U.S. Postal Service alone expected to process more than 500 million letters, packages and cards.
The crowds arrived early to the post office at 30th and Chestnut Streets in University City.
Christmas is next week, and there were plenty of gifts to send and returns to make.
Meantime folks like Alex Victorin were dropping off Christmas parcels at the Federal Express facility at 20th and Market Streets.
The outgoing shipments there were carefully wrapped and piling up.
FedEx expected to see double the usual volume today.
Action News was at the company's Grays Ferry facility earlier Monday as packages from near and far were being unloaded.
Boxes big and small, light and heavy were put on a long conveyor belt then sorted and loaded into trucks to be distributed across the region.
philadelphia news, postal service, fedex, holidays, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run