Busiest shipping day of the year for U.S. Postal Service, other carriers
CENTER CITY - December 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Today, Monday, marks the busiest day of the holiday season for shipping packages.
The U.S. Postal Service alone expected to process more than 500 million letters, packages and cards.
The crowds arrived early to the post office at 30th and Chestnut Streets in University City.
Christmas is next week, and there were plenty of gifts to send and returns to make.
Meantime folks like Alex Victorin were dropping off Christmas parcels at the Federal Express facility at 20th and Market Streets.
The outgoing shipments there were carefully wrapped and piling up.
FedEx expected to see double the usual volume today.
Action News was at the company's Grays Ferry facility earlier Monday as packages from near and far were being unloaded.
Boxes big and small, light and heavy were put on a long conveyor belt then sorted and loaded into trucks to be distributed across the region.
philadelphia news, postal service, fedex, holidays, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 36 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 9 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 29 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom