Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in Pitman, N.J.
PITMAN, N.J. - December 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say someone tried to torch a billboard in New Jersey that was put up by atheists to protest a "Keep Christ in Christmas" banner.
The billboard proclaims "Keep Saturn in Saturnalia," a reference to an ancient celebration of the Roman god of agriculture.
It's paid for by the Madison, Wis.-based Freedom from Religion Foundation.
Authorities say it was torched Tuesday night by two unidentified men who fled in a pickup truck.
The sign didn't burn, but its steel support beams were charred.
The atheist group has been trying since 2011 to have a privately funded Christmas banner in Pitman removed or have one added for nonbelievers.
The foundation is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspects.
new jersey news, arson, gloucester county news, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 3 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 2 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 44 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 59 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases