Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
BANGOR, Pa. - December 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- A volunteer volleyball coach in Northampton County, Pennsylvania is accused of having a sexual relationship with a student.
Stephanie Merlo is charged with institutional sexual assault and corruption of minors.
Investigators say Merlo met the alleged 17-year-old female victim while coaching at Pius the Tenth High School in Bangor.
Police say the two had a sexual relationship from September to November.
They also say Merlo provided marijuana to the teenager.
A spokesperson from the Diocese of Allentown says Merlo passed all background checks and clearances.
northampton county news, pennsylvania news, child sex assault, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 44 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 49 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
44 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
55 min ago
- Milder Monday
47 min ago