South Jersey families get surprise layaway payoff
PLESANTVILLE, N.J. - December 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Some families in South Jersey, saving up to buy their Christmas gifts, got an unexpected surprise on Christmas Eve.
We've heard about it before but this time of the year, it's just always good to see.
It was one surprise after another in a Pleasantville, New Jersey K-Mart.
Lee Karchawer, from New York, was playing a plain-clothes Santa, swiping his credit again and again.
Karchawer paid off the layaway balances for dozens of customers who were picking up clothes and toys for their children.
"I was totally shocked. I'm still in shock, I still can't believe there is an organization that does that," said Capree Caldwell.
'Pay Away the Layaway' is an organization Karchawer started in 2011.
This year he and a team of volunteers have hit several stores across the country paying a lot of money per deserving customer.
He says this year more than 400 people from 40 states donated more than $20,000 through his website.
"For me it's great to be able to represent all of these people who are anonymously donating, then go off and pay these layaway accounts off and then see the people who come to pick them up or surprise them when we get there," said Karchawer.
Every recipient was thankful for the charitable act.
"It makes me feel blessed and hopeful that there are still some good people left in the world," said Geminese Usher.
While some were surprised at the counter, others received a phone call from the store with the good news.
Now these parents will have a little extra cash in their pockets this Christmas.
Jason Sales says he'll need it for his 1-year-old twins.
"I love them to death and this is for them. I just want to make sure they have a good first Christmas," said Sales.
Our area was Karchawer's last stop before Christmas. He says more and more donations roll in every year so he's hoping he'll be able to spread even more holiday cheer in 2014.
For more information visit: http://payawaythelayaway.org/.
new jersey news, atlantic county news, christmas, shopping, local/state, kenneth moton
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding 58 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 55 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 53 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 49 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 54 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 48 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
53 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car...
55 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's...
58 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
51 min ago