South Jersey families get surprise layaway payoff
PLESANTVILLE, N.J. - December 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Some families in South Jersey, saving up to buy their Christmas gifts, got an unexpected surprise on Christmas Eve.
We've heard about it before but this time of the year, it's just always good to see.
It was one surprise after another in a Pleasantville, New Jersey K-Mart.
Lee Karchawer, from New York, was playing a plain-clothes Santa, swiping his credit again and again.
Karchawer paid off the layaway balances for dozens of customers who were picking up clothes and toys for their children.
"I was totally shocked. I'm still in shock, I still can't believe there is an organization that does that," said Capree Caldwell.
'Pay Away the Layaway' is an organization Karchawer started in 2011.
This year he and a team of volunteers have hit several stores across the country paying a lot of money per deserving customer.
He says this year more than 400 people from 40 states donated more than $20,000 through his website.
"For me it's great to be able to represent all of these people who are anonymously donating, then go off and pay these layaway accounts off and then see the people who come to pick them up or surprise them when we get there," said Karchawer.
Every recipient was thankful for the charitable act.
"It makes me feel blessed and hopeful that there are still some good people left in the world," said Geminese Usher.
While some were surprised at the counter, others received a phone call from the store with the good news.
Now these parents will have a little extra cash in their pockets this Christmas.
Jason Sales says he'll need it for his 1-year-old twins.
"I love them to death and this is for them. I just want to make sure they have a good first Christmas," said Sales.
Our area was Karchawer's last stop before Christmas. He says more and more donations roll in every year so he's hoping he'll be able to spread even more holiday cheer in 2014.
For more information visit: http://payawaythelayaway.org/.
new jersey news, atlantic county news, christmas, shopping, local/state, kenneth moton
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids