Police: Teen raped during New Year festivities in South Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - January 2, 2014 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit is investigating the rape of a 16-year-old girl in South Philadelphia on Wednesday night.
Police say the girl was walking in the area of 2nd and Tree Street when a young man pulled her behind a plastic covering of a scaffold and raped her.
Officials say the girl had been participating in Mummers festivities on 2nd Street and may have been intoxicated.
Residents on Tree Street next to the scaffolding say they heard screams and saw the suspect walking away when they came out to investigate.
Police were able to apprehend the suspect a few blocks away because of the heavy police presence in the area.
The name of that suspect has not been released.
The 16-year-old was taken to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for evaluation.
The incident remains under investigation.
rape, sex assault, teens, south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 27 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 44 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Frost Advisory Overnight
39 min ago