Police: Teen raped during New Year festivities in South Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - January 2, 2014 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit is investigating the rape of a 16-year-old girl in South Philadelphia on Wednesday night.
Police say the girl was walking in the area of 2nd and Tree Street when a young man pulled her behind a plastic covering of a scaffold and raped her.
Officials say the girl had been participating in Mummers festivities on 2nd Street and may have been intoxicated.
Residents on Tree Street next to the scaffolding say they heard screams and saw the suspect walking away when they came out to investigate.
Police were able to apprehend the suspect a few blocks away because of the heavy police presence in the area.
The name of that suspect has not been released.
The 16-year-old was taken to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for evaluation.
The incident remains under investigation.
rape, sex assault, teens, south philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 45 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 26 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ