Tis the season to donate
PHILADELPHIA - December 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Your trash can be someone else's treasure. That's what the Salvation Army is hoping many people will think about when they're busy doing an end of the year purge.
Tis the season for many of us donate.
The week between Christmas and New Year's is seeing a stream of donations to the Salvation Army's Pechin Street operations in Roxborough.
"It is our ritual we do a purge at the end of the year with intent to bringing it down here to the Salvation Army," said Bruce Goodridge.
"It is the very busiest time of year for us because of tax exemptions, breaks that people get," said Major John Cranford, Salvation Army.
If you get a receipt from a charity, including the Salvation Army for something donated before years end, its value can be declared as a tax deduction in some cases for 2013.
Your cast offs can be a windfall for charities.
The Salvation Army sorts through 6 to 8 million pounds of donated clothes a year. It's sorting operation ships 18,000 to 25,000 pieces to its 9 regional stores daily.
The money collected helps fuel the groups' 9 month long in-house drug and alcohol treatment program says Major John Cranford.
"98 percent of our income comes directly from peoples donations of clothing furniture or brick a brac," said Major Cranford.
He says the relationship between reselling the used items and saving people is critical.
"That is what we are in the business of, recycling material and with recycling material we recycle people's lives," said Major Cranford.
The Salvation Army's drop off location in Roxborough is open 7 days a week until 9:00 p.m.
If you want to know more about what the IRS says about donations and deductions you can go to http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Offers-Tips-for-Year-End-Giving-2013.
irs, salvation army, philadelphia news, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ