Man arrested for Newark, New Jersey airport breach
NEWARK, N.J. - December 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police at Newark Liberty International Airport are seeking answers to how a man was able to go over a fence on Christmas morning and walk across the tarmac.
Twenty-four-year-old Siyah Bryant of Jersey City was charged with trespassing around 4:45 a.m. Wednesday.
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Chief Louie Koumoutsos said in a statement Thursday that the airport's perimeter security system worked and that an alarm was raised after cameras showed Bryant going over the fence.
Koumoutsos said he wants to find out why it took "an unacceptably long time" for officers to find Bryant.
The investigation will also focus on the third-party operator responsible for monitoring the cameras. Bryan was released with a summons. A phone number for him could not be located.
new jersey news, air travel, airline security, local/state
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry