$2,000 in merchandise stolen from Phila. non-profit store
SPRING GARDEN - December 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- The search is on for two suspects who got away with $2,000 worth of merchandise from a non-profit store in Spring Garden.
It happened around 6:00 p.m. Friday night at The Wardrobe Boutique at 19th and Spring Garden streets.
"It's just sad someone would do that to an organization like this that's trying to help women," said Kim Cottman.
Cottman was working the counter at the upscale resale store while the women shopped.
One minute they were asking to see bags and clothes, the next they were grabbing whatever they could carry.
Cottman says they even took a coat off a mannequin before running out of the store. She ran after them.
"It was just an impulse reaction. I felt disrespected and I just wasn't having it," said Cottman.
The women got away with about $2,000 in high end merchandise but they left behind a mess for the store to clean up.
The boutique benefits Career Wardrobe, a non-profit that helps 4,000 women a year get jobs by providing professional clothing and training for job interviews.
"Everything in the store has been donated by individuals who are cleaning out their closet to give another woman hope," said Sheri Cole, executive director of Career Wardrobe. "If they needed something, all they had to do was ask. If any woman comes in here and needs a winter coat and can't afford it, or needs a handbag or a suit for a job interview, then we hook her up. We make sure that it's affordable or it's free."
The thieves fled the store and hopped into a waiting vehicle.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
For more information on Career Wardrobe, visit their website.
philadelphia news, spring garden, theft, local/state
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 56 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del.... 56 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape