Pregnant nurse fired in Pa. over flu shot
LANCASTER, Pa. - December 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A pregnant woman who refused to get a flu shot due to her fear of miscarrying has been fired from her job with a health care company.
Dreonna Breton worked as a registered nurse for Horizons Healthcare Services in central Pennsylvania. The company requires all personnel to get the influenza vaccine.
Breton contends the immunizations may not be safe enough for pregnant women. She suffered two miscarriages earlier this year, and doesn't want to risk a third.
Company spokesman Alan Peterson says it's unconscionable for a health care worker not to be immunized. He also says pregnant women are more susceptible to the flu.
Breton offered to wear a mask during flu season. But the 29-year-old was fired Dec. 17.
Federal officials say the flu causes about 200,000 hospitalizations annually.
pennsylvania news, flu, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 59 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle 17 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
59 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
17 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
50 min ago