Father arrested in shooting of 2-year-old boy in Camden
CAMDEN, N.J. - January 1, 2014 (WPVI) -- A father has been arrested after Camden County Police say he shot his 2-year-old son.
Officers were called to Cooper University Hospital at 10:52 p.m. Tuesday where a two-year-old boy was being treated for a gunshot wound to the left arm and left leg.
The boy's father, Sergio Rivera, 38, of Camden, told police he accidentally shot his son while inside a vehicle at the corner of 21st and Pierce Streets in Camden. The family, including the boy's mother and grandmother, were also inside the car.
Rivera drove to the hospital following the shooting. Police say he did not cooperate with detectives who questioned him.
Investigators recovered a 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun from the vehicle. Rivera was also found to be in possession of prescription painkillers.
Rivera has been charged with Possession of a Weapon, Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose, Certain Persons Not to Have Weapons, Aggravated Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child and Possession of a CDS.
The Certain Persons charge is based on a prior drug distribution conviction.
Rivera was remanded to the county jail with bail set at $185,000 cash or bond.
shooting, children, camden news, new jersey news, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 45 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 43 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
43 min ago