3 shot in New Year's Eve gunfire at Ocean County hotel
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - January 1, 2014 (WPVI) -- Three people were wounded, one critically, after gunfire erupted overnight at a hotel in Ocean County.
It happened at 12:55 a.m. Wednesday at the Ramada Inn on Route 9 near the Lakewood, NJ township line.
Toms River Police say an anonymous caller alerted them to the gunfire.
Officers arrived to find a crowd of 30 people in a rear section of the hotel, and 4 or 5 people climbing out of a second floor window onto an adjacent roof.
They entered a suite in the rear section of the hotel and found two people shot. Both were rushed to an area hospital.
Officers from neighboring Brick and Lakewood Townships arrived to help control the crowd and search for additional victims. Police learned a third shooting victim had been driven by private vehicle to the hospital.
As of Wednesday morning, one victim was still in surgery and a second was in critical condition.
There was no immediate word on the condition of the third victim.
Police say no suspects were located at the hotel and that the investigation is continuing.
Anyone with information is being asked to contact Detective Hull of the Toms River Police Department at 732-349-0150 ext 1291.
shooting, toms river, new jersey news, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 32 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 50 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 9 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 33 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos