Suspect assaults woman during bank robbery in Society Hill
PHILADELPHIA - January 3, 2014 (WPVI) -- Authorities are asking for the public's assistance in identifying and locating the man who was caught on camera during a robbery at a bank in Philadelphia's Society Hill section.
The robbery happened at 12:23 p.m. Friday at the Wells Fargo Bank branch located at 340-350 South 2nd Street.
According to police, the suspect entered the bank, handed a teller a demand note, and made a verbal bomb threat. During the course of the robbery he also allegedly assaulted and robbed an elderly female customer.
After obtaining an undisclosed amount of cash from the teller, the man fled the scene. He was last seen heading north on 2nd Street.
The female assault victim suffered minor injuries to her lip and knee, but declined medical attention, police say.
The suspect is described as a white male in his mid to late 30s, approximately 5'7"-5'8" tall, thin build, with a brown beard and mustache. He wore a dark-colored zip-front hooded jacket, blue jeans, a burgundy baseball cap with unknown logo, and light-colored gloves.
Police say the suspect should be considered armed and dangerous.
Anyone with information is urged to call the FBI at 215-418-4000 or the Philadelphia Police Department. There may be a reward for information leading to this subject's capture and tipsters can remain anonymous.
society hill news, philadelphia news, wells fargo, bank robbery, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 53 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 45 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 49 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 38 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
40 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
58 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
55 min ago