Snow shoveling turns violent in Overbrook Park
PHILADELPHIA - January 3, 2014 (WPVI) -- It may be frigid outside, but that didn't stop tensions from boiling over in Philadelphia's Overbrook Park section Friday night.
Only Action News was there as Philadelphia SWAT officers responded to a standoff sparked by a fight over shoveling snow.
Police say two neighbors on the 7600 block of Wyndale Street apparently got into a verbal argument that turned physical just before 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Police say one man had a boxcutter, which neighbors wrestled away, but then he went to get another weapon.
"He comes back out, he has a handgun in his waistband. He shows the neighbor he was fighting with the a gun. Fortunately the uniform officers arrive on the scene, and he runs in his house. At that point, he barricades himself in his house refusing to come out, and we had to activate our SWAT teams," said Lt. John Walker.
After a short negotiation, police took the 50-year-old suspect into custody.
No one was hurt.
snow, overbrook news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 10 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 17 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 36 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 40 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
10 min ago