Flourtown strip mall fire under investigation
FLOURTOWN, Pa. - January 5, 2014 (WPVI) -- An investigation is under way into a fire that ripped through part of a Montgomery County strip mall.
The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Saturday on the 1600 block of Bethlehem Pike in Flourtown.
A passerby saw smoke and called 911. Crews believe the fire began inside Flourtown Pizza Restaurant.
"We entered the building within five minutes we had heavy fire in the roof, we evacuated because of deteriorating conditions," said Chief George Wilmot.
Firefighters were able to respond quickly and under tough conditions called in for extra help.
"In this cold weather, it's always an issue," said Chief Wilmot.
The roof of the pizza shop caved in. At two alarms, crews contained the blaze within an hour.
Many of the businesses in the strip mall were heavily damaged, including the pizza shop, which was a total loss.
On Sunday, drivers passed by looking at all the boarded up stores.
"The food is amazing they're fabulous cooks," said Carol Goft.
Goft, a longtime resident, says she's thinking about the family who owns the pizza business.
"They're just really nice people, down to earth, they know all of thier customers," she said.
As for an exact cause, authorities continue to investigate.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, fire, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos