14-year-old charged in murder of 13-year-old in Atlantic City
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - January 10, 2014 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a 14-year-old is facing a murder charge in the shooting death of a 13-year-old boy in Atlantic City.
The shooting happened Wednesday shortly before 3:00 p.m. outside the Pennsylvania Avenue School on the White Horse Pike near Virginia Avenue.
Investigators say the suspect fired several shots into a group of teens.
The victim, Angel Mercado-Santiago, was shot in the chest. He was later pronounced dead.
A 15-year-old boy was also wounded in the leg. He was taken to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center for treatment.
On Friday, officials announced that the 14-year-old suspect, whose name is being withheld because he is a juvenile, is facing charges for murder, aggravated assault and weapons offenses. The teen was taken into custody on Sunday.
Police continue to investigate. Anyone with information is urged to call the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office Major Crimes Unit at (609)-909-7666.
shooting, atlantic city news, new jersey news, local/state
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 13 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 49 min ago
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 50 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 53 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 55 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo 35 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
13 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
55 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
53 min ago