14-year-old charged in murder of 13-year-old in Atlantic City
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - January 10, 2014 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a 14-year-old is facing a murder charge in the shooting death of a 13-year-old boy in Atlantic City.
The shooting happened Wednesday shortly before 3:00 p.m. outside the Pennsylvania Avenue School on the White Horse Pike near Virginia Avenue.
Investigators say the suspect fired several shots into a group of teens.
The victim, Angel Mercado-Santiago, was shot in the chest. He was later pronounced dead.
A 15-year-old boy was also wounded in the leg. He was taken to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center for treatment.
On Friday, officials announced that the 14-year-old suspect, whose name is being withheld because he is a juvenile, is facing charges for murder, aggravated assault and weapons offenses. The teen was taken into custody on Sunday.
Police continue to investigate. Anyone with information is urged to call the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office Major Crimes Unit at (609)-909-7666.
shooting, atlantic city news, new jersey news, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police