Ice jams ease, flooding concerns increase
MORRISVILLE, Pa. - January 10, 2014 (WPVI) -- While the ice jams are breaking up along the Delaware River, concerns about flooding are still very much a problem.
The ice jam is considered less of a threat, but Emergency Management officials are looking at the forecast for Saturday's heavy rain, and the possibility of flooding.
Several massive ice formations jam the Delaware including one in Trenton that has become an attraction. Sightseers come and snap pictures and marvel at the ice.
While it may appear impressive, thanks to warming weather, the ice formations up and down the river are less threatening than 24 hours ago. And that is because the water level has dropped below flood stage.
Roads like Route 32 that were flooded Thursday were opened to traffic late Friday.
Thursday, the Coast Guard used a cutter to break open a channel in the ice three miles south of Trenton.
By Friday, the melting rafts of ice flowed south and no longer presented a hazard to navigation.
As for the ice in Trenton, officials say it will just have to melt on its own.
"It is so far up the river we are not able to get up to it. The bridges are so low that we can't get to where the problems actually arise," said Benjamin Heinze, U.S. Coast Guard.
Though the ice is less of a flooding threat, there is concern about forecasted rain falling on frozen ground and triggering minor flooding in parts of Lower Bucks County.
"We are concerned about some urbanized flooding issues in poor drainage areas and on roads. Some very small issues tributaries to the Neshaminy that run into the Delaware River coming up rapidly and possibly coming out of their banks," explained Scott Forster, Director of Emergency Services.
severe weather, ice storm, bucks county news, pennsylvania news, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 43 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 11 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine