$10,000 reward posted after Wawa robbed for 5th time
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - January 13, 2014 (WPVI) -- A Northeast Philadelphia Wawa store was robbed on Monday morning, the fifth robbery since last fall - and investigators believe the same man is responsible.
In reaction to the latest robbery, Wawa announced Monday that it is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for rash of robberies.
The most recent robbery happened around 1:40 a.m. at the convenience store located on the 6400 block of Bustleton Avenue.
Police say a masked man burst into the Wawa and announced a holdup.
He demanded money and made the assistant manager empty the register and store safe.
Witnesses say the suspect then fled through a rear door and jumped a fence.
The suspect made off with cash and a carton of Newport cigarettes, police say.
"Based on witnesses, they say the male was wearing an Old Navy, gray, hooded sweatshirt, jeans, work boots and had a black mask covering his face. He was wearing gloves and had a dark-colored handgun," said Chief Inspector Scott Small of the Philadelphia Police.
There were seven customers and four employees inside the store but no one hurt.
The first in this series of robbery happened back in October.
Wawa says it is doing everything it can to protect its customers and employees. The company says it is working on having an on site police presence overnight. Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
wawa, robbery, northeast philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 42 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 17 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 38 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
42 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
17 min ago