Comcast to build new, taller skyscraper in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - January 15, 2014 (WPVI) -- Comcast announced Wednesday it is building another, taller skyscraper in Philadelphia.
The proposed "Comcast Innovation and Technology Center" will be located on the 1800 block of Arch Street in Center City.
When finished, the tower will be 59 stories tall at a height of 1,121 feet and will be located next to the Comcast Center, which stands 975 feet tall and opened in June 2008.
Comcast said the building will become "a dedicated home for the company's growing workforce of technologists, engineers, and software architects."
"We continue to be proud to call Philadelphia our home, and are thrilled to build a world-class media, technology and innovation center right in the heart of the city," Comcast chairman and chief executive Brian L. Roberts said in a statement. "We have assembled an incredible design and development team to expand our vertical campus, and I am more excited than ever about the future of Comcast in Philadelphia."
The building was designed by Lord Norman Foster and will be developed by Liberty Property Trust.
and will include a Four Seasons hotel and a block-long lobby with a glass-enclosed indoor plaza that will offset the Comcast Center's outdoor plaza.
The lobby will feature a restaurant and a new concourse will provide direct connections with the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority's regional commuter train hub, Suburban Station.
Though it will be the tallest building in Philadelphia, the new tower would be the 34th tallest building worldwide when complete, just seven feet shy of the 1,128-foot John Hancock Tower in Chicago and nine feet taller than Moscow's Mercury City Tower, according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
The tallest building in the U.S. is the Willis Tower in Chicago, which stands 1,451 feet. The world's tallest building is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai at 2,717 feet.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia news, center city news, comcast, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 18 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew...
18 min ago
- Shelter Me: Voorhees Animal Orphanage
9 min ago