Woman fights back against robbers in Northeast Philadelphia
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - January 16, 2014 (WPVI) -- A woman used a baseball bat to fight back against two would-be robbers at her home in Northeast Philadelphia.
The incident happened around 9:30 a.m. Thursday in the 1000 block of Granite Street.
54-year-old Diane Davies answered her door and was confronted by two men in white jump suits. She says the suits had Water Department logos.
"I thought they were going to tell me that they were going to be working on the street and the water pressure would be off or something. That's because I saw them last week working on the street," Diane said.
Diane had the door opened a crack with her foot propped against it. The two men tried to barge in and one of them slugged her in the face. She says she kept her balance and reached for the baseball bat she keeps near the front door.
"Before I knew it, I was being sucker punched. My son's bat was right there," Diane said.
And then she started swinging.
"I hit him probably on the neck, shoulder," Diane said.
The two men ran off and Diane ran upstairs to her daughter's bedroom.
"The next thing I knew she came flying into my bedroom crying, holding her eye. She was screaming, she wasn't making any sense," Diane's daughter Cheryl Davies said.
They called the police and Diane was rushed to the hospital.
She was treated and able to come home this afternoon.
"A concussion and bruises. [I feel] a little woozy," Diane said.
Diane's late father was a homicide detective and she says he taught her well.
This isn't the first recent robbery attempt in which the suspects posed as water department workers. Back on Friday, two men stole cash and valuables from a couple in their 70s and their special needs son in South Philadelphia.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, northeast philadelphia news, robbery, home invasion, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
48 min ago