Officers recovering after breaking up fight in Northeast Philadelphia
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - January 16, 2014 (WPVI) -- School district police are out in force at Samuel Fels High School to keep a lid on any remaining tensions, after 3 officers were injured breaking up a fight.
The incident happened around 3:00 p.m. Thursday in the 900 block of Brill Street in the Summerdale neighborhood.
The melee ended with three officers - two Philadelphia police officers and one Philadelphia School District officer - injured and other officers chasing the suspects through the streets of Oxford Circle.
It began as class was being let out at Fels High School, a few blocks from the 900 block of Brill Street where the officers were allegedly assaulted.
"Apparently males were awaiting for dismissal to confront other males and there was a series of fistfights in the area near the school," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Carl Holmes said.
Surveillance video shows students running across Brill Street to watch a fight that had broken out.
One of the injured officers told Action News he was hit in the jaw while breaking up the fight. Another said he suffered bruises to the back of his head.
But it was a Philadelphia police officer who apparently got the worst of it. Police say he was punched in the mouth and nose and required treatment from an oral surgeon.
"The boy socked the cop who had a stick. And then there was a couple of them hitting them. His nose was bloody and I think his lip was also busted," Fels student Jahira Nixon said.
Holmes says two males were injured while being subdued by police during the incident.
Five suspects were taken into custody.
Only Action News was on scene as they were taken from a van into Northeast Detectives for questioning.
The juveniles attend Fels, Dobbins, and Olney high schools.
"We don't know what started the disturbance. There apparently were some ongoing tensions within several neighborhoods with these young men. We are still investigating it," Holmes said.
philadelphia news, northeast philadelphia news, summerdale news, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 41 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 47 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 25 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
47 min ago