$40,000 reward in unsolved Philadelphia police officer murder
PHILADELPHIA - January 16, 2014 (WPVI) -- The city's only unsolved murder of a Philadelphia police officer now has a big reward attached to it.
It was 44 years ago when Officer Frederick Cione was killed in the line of duty and family members are hoping $40,000 will finally help bring Cione's killer to justice.
Today, a plaque at 17th and Oxford marks the spot where Officer Cione was shot and killed back on the night of January 30th, 1970.
Scione was a first year officer, a Vietnam veteran, and only 25 years old.
The police are still hunting his killers.
"One or two names, persons of interest, did come up; however, we never had quite enough to make an arrest," Captain James Clark of the Philadelphia Police Department said Thursday.
Fred Cione's younger brother, Nick, joined the police force soon after his brother's murder.
He is retired now, but his two sons, Fred Scione's nephews who were born after his killing, are now sergeants.
They pray someone after all these years will come forward with evidence that could bring the killers, especially the triggerman, to justice.
"You just keep hoping, there's nothing else you can do. You just hope somebody makes a mistake. Somebody does something to a friend he didn't like and he makes a phone call to Homicide. That's how sometimes cases get solved," Nick Cione said.
There is now $40,000 in reward money for anyone providing key evidence: $10,000 from the National Police Defense Foundation, $20,000 from the city, and $10,000 from the Fraternal Order of Police.
"This is a case that we need to get solved, like all of our unsolved homicides. It may have been a long period of time that's passed, but there are still people around today that know what happened and we are asking for their help," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, police officer killed, local/state, vernon odom
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 5 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 12 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 9 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
5 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
12 min ago