PECO: Equipment issue blamed for Center City blast
CENTER CITY - January 17, 2014 (WPVI) -- Some streets were closed in Center City after a problem with a piece of electrical equipment caused an explosion late Friday morning.
The incident occurred near the intersection of 18th and Spruce.
A PECO spokesman told Action News that the company experienced an issue with a piece of underground electrical equipment around 11:45 a.m.
PECO workers remain on site making repairs.
Traffic was backed up as the area around 17th, 18th and Locust Streets were shut down.
The view from Chopper 6 HD showed work around an open manhole.
There were no reports of injuries.
philadelphia news, center city news, local/state
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 36 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 16 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 32 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 34 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 30 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures