University of Pennsylvania student dies in Center City
CENTER CITY - January 18, 2014 (WPVI) -- A freshman student at the University of Pennsylvania has died in Center City.
Authorities say 19-year-old Madison Holleran, of Allendale, New Jersey, died Friday night.
An official cause of death has not been released but police believe she was the woman who jumped to her death from the roof of a parking garage at 15th and Spruce streets.
Holleran was on UPenn's woman's track team.
University President Amy Gutmann released the following statement amid the news:
The entire Penn Community is deeply saddened by the death of Madison Holleran. She was bright and well liked with an incredible future ahead of her. There are simply no words that can properly convey the sense of heartache that we all feel at such a tragic loss.
The university will also be providing counseling to students and staff.
philadelphia news, center city news, university of pennsylvania, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 41 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad