Del. man flees police, crashes, arrested on drug charges
NEWARK, Del. - January 19, 2014 (WPVI) -- A Newark, Delaware man has been arrested after crashing his van during a traffic stop.
At approximately 2:15 p.m. Saturday, State Police noticed 27-year-old Reginald M. Kornegay travelling southbound on I-95 near the Pennsylvania line in a light blue Dodge Caravan with a registration violation.
The trooper activated his emergency lights, but police say Kornegay kept driving, attempting to elude the officer.
The van eventually crashed on Whitaker Road, north of Old Baltimore Pike, where Kornegay was taken into custody without further incident.
A search of the vehicle yielded one bag of heroin and two cigars containing marijuana.
Detectives obtained a search warrant of Kornegay's residence located in the unit block of Abbey Lane, where they located 28.6 grams of marijuana, packaged for distribution, a sawed-off shotgun, and over $10,000.00 in suspected drug proceeds.
Some of the money was hidden under a 4-year-old child's dresser that resides in the apartment.
Kornegay was charged with multiple offenses including Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, Possession of a Deadly Weapon During the Commission of a Felon, Possession with Intent to Deliver Marijuana, and Possession with Intent to Deliver Heroin.
delaware news, newark, del. news, drugs, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student death 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 6 min ago
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 39 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 34 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures