Police: Lansdale priest groped man in YMCA locker room
LANSDALE, Pa. (AP) - January 19, 2014 (WPVI) -- Police revealed that a Lansdale, Pa. priest charged with harassment and indecent assault allegedly groped a younger man in a YMCA locker room last month.
The Philadelphia archdiocese issued a statement Friday calling the actions of the 64-year-old priest "deeply troubling," but authorities didn't immediately release details when the Rev. John Roebuck surrendered that day.
On Saturday, Lansdale police said the alleged encounter occurred Dec. 15 at the North Penn YMCA.
According to police, Roebuck shook the man's hand after a brief conversation, then grabbed the alleged victim's genitals with another hand. Police say the YMCA staff helped them identify Roebuck.
Online court records don't list an attorney for the priest who faces a preliminary hearing Thursday. He has not returned calls to his office at St. Stanislaus Church in Lansdale.
pennsylvania news, lansdale news, montgomery county news, assault, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 40 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 27 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 27 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 32 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 4 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 36 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 23 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos