Widener University shooting victim remains hospitalized
CHESTER, Pa. - January 21, 2014 (WPVI) -- Chester police are continuing their search for the gunman who opened fire on the campus of Widener University Monday night, leaving a student seriously wounded.
Officers responded at approximately 8:54 p.m. to 900 block of East 17th Street for the report of a shooting behind the Swartz Center Gymnasium.
Arriving officers found the 19-year-old student lying on the ground having been shot in the head and left shoulder.
Paramedics transported the victim to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where he remains in serious condition.
Chester police say the student was sitting inside a vehicle after playing a game of basketball when the shooter approached and opened fire.
Police say the shooting does not appear to be a random act.
The suspect is described as a male wearing dark sweat pants with a white stripe and a blue jean jacket. He remains at large and was last seen running off campus towards the Sun Hill section of the city.
Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 610-447-7813.
pennsylvania news, chester county news, shooting, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 10 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 8 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad