Widener University shooting victim remains hospitalized
CHESTER, Pa. - January 21, 2014 (WPVI) -- Chester police are continuing their search for the gunman who opened fire on the campus of Widener University Monday night, leaving a student seriously wounded.
Officers responded at approximately 8:54 p.m. to 900 block of East 17th Street for the report of a shooting behind the Swartz Center Gymnasium.
Arriving officers found the 19-year-old student lying on the ground having been shot in the head and left shoulder.
Paramedics transported the victim to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where he remains in serious condition.
Chester police say the student was sitting inside a vehicle after playing a game of basketball when the shooter approached and opened fire.
Police say the shooting does not appear to be a random act.
The suspect is described as a male wearing dark sweat pants with a white stripe and a blue jean jacket. He remains at large and was last seen running off campus towards the Sun Hill section of the city.
Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 610-447-7813.
pennsylvania news, chester county news, shooting, local/state
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 31 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 4 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 3 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 10 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
3 min ago