Widener University shooting victim remains hospitalized
CHESTER, Pa. - January 21, 2014 (WPVI) -- Chester police are continuing their search for the gunman who opened fire on the campus of Widener University Monday night, leaving a student seriously wounded.
Officers responded at approximately 8:54 p.m. to 900 block of East 17th Street for the report of a shooting behind the Swartz Center Gymnasium.
Arriving officers found the 19-year-old student lying on the ground having been shot in the head and left shoulder.
Paramedics transported the victim to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where he remains in serious condition.
Chester police say the student was sitting inside a vehicle after playing a game of basketball when the shooter approached and opened fire.
Police say the shooting does not appear to be a random act.
The suspect is described as a male wearing dark sweat pants with a white stripe and a blue jean jacket. He remains at large and was last seen running off campus towards the Sun Hill section of the city.
Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 610-447-7813.
pennsylvania news, chester county news, shooting, local/state
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 4 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 45 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 42 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 48 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 24 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
35 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos