Del. robbery suspect hid under deck, but was caught
NEWARK, Del. - January 22, 2014 (WPVI) -- A Newark man was taken into custody after allegedly robbing a convenience store Tuesday night.
It was 10:14 p.m. when police say 21-year-old Hampton J. Jones entered the 7-Eleven store, located on the 600 block of East Chestnut Hill Road.
Wearing a mask, Jones pointed a gun at a man who was standing near the sales counter. There was a brief struggle between the two men after which Jones allegedly demanded money from the clerk.
After being given cash Jones fled the store.
A short time later a New Castle County Police Officer spotted Jones walking near the store. The officer tried to stop him, but Jones took off.
Jones then attempted to hide under the deck of a nearby home, but police found him and he was placed under arrest.
In addition, the gun he allegedly used during the robbery was determined to be a BB gun.
Hampton Jones was charged with two counts of robbery first degree and one count of wearing a disguise during the commission of a felony. He was released after posting $22,200 secured bail.
newark, del. news, delaware news, robbery, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man