Accident shuts down I-95 North near Walt Whitman Bridge
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - January 23, 2014 (WPVI) -- An accident involving at least two vehicles shut down the northbound side of I-95 in South Philadelphia Thursday morning.
The crash happened before 9:00 a.m. just past the Walt Whitman Bridge.
Images from a Sky6 camera near the scene showed all northbound lanes blocked, firefighters on the scene and debris littering the road.
One vehicle was off on the right shoulder and another vehicle in the middle of the highway appeared to have spun around.
There was no immediate word on the number or extent of injures.
Northbound traffic was backed up well past the Broad Street exit as police investigated and crews worked to clear the scene.
philadelphia news, accident, south philadelphia news, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose