Suspect identified in Gloucester County home invasion
NATIONAL PARK, N.J. - January 24, 2014 (WPVI) -- Police say an elderly woman suffered a head injury during a home invasion robbery in National Park, New Jersey early Friday morning.
Police caught up to the suspect soon after he allegedly attacked and robbed the 78-year-old victim. And get this, he is the one who called 911.
The suspect is identified as 28-year-old David R. Nickel of Red Bank Avenue in West Deptford. He is being charged with Robbery, Burglary, Aggravated Assault, Criminal Mischief, and Theft. Bail has been set at $75,000.
"It was a shock, I didn't know what was going on."
The victim doesn't want her face shown or her name used after Westville police say Nickel robbed and attacked her in her Wesley Avenue home around 2:00 a.m. Friday.
The victim explained, "I heard a noise. That's when I came out here and he was in there."
The victim showed Action News the shattered glass left behind after Nickel broke the window to her back door to get inside.
"Next thing you know, he hit me in the head, he asked me for money and jewelry," she said.
He left a gash on her head requiring eight stitches.
The victim says he took cash, then did something unlikely.
"When he left here he said, 'I'm going to call 911."
Police traced that call and that little dose of compassion may have gotten him caught.
When residents learned of the crime they checked to see if other residents near the victim were alright. Still, with a suspect in custody many in this small community, including the victim, remain on edge.
The victim says she doesn't think she knows her attacker. It's not clear why she was targeted.
new jersey news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 19 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 25 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
19 min ago