Will Pope Francis visit Philadelphia next year?
PHILADELPHIA - January 25, 2014 (WPVI) -- There is growing optimism that Pope Francis will visit Philadelphia next year.
Vatican sources have indicated that the Pontiff will likely attend the World Meeting of Families here in September of 2015.
Even though nothing is official, the planning for the visit has already begun.
"We do not have official word that the pope is coming, but we are planning as though he will be here and we have every hope he will be joining us in September, 2015," said Donna Crilley-Farrell, the executive director for the World Meeting of Families.
Pope Francis may also speak to the United Nations General Assembly during his journey to the United States.
Pope Benedict XVI announced in 2012 that Philadelphia would host the triennial event. At the time, he said he looked forward to meeting the region's Catholics. He attended the seventh convocation of families in Milan.
Benedict has since retired. Pope Francis' schedule remains unclear.
Traditionally, papal trips abroad are confirmed a few months before the journey.
philadelphia news, pope francis, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 44 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92 17 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
44 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos