Fugitive wanted on 70 counts of rape in Norristown
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - January 28, 2014 (WPVI) -- Authorities are searching for a child predator who's accused of sexually assaulting a Norristown teen dozens of times.
Thirty one year old Gerardo Cruz-Hernandez is a fugitive, facing 70 counts of rape.
Police say his victim is a 15-year-old Norristown girl who became pregnant during the abuse, and who he then forced to undergo an abortion.
A teacher at the victim's school had noticed signs of abuse, so the school called police.
The district attorney is grateful for that teacher's decision.
"Teachers have that unique opportunity to see kids and to see them without their guard up and to see what is really happening in their lives," said Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman.
Police say Cruz-Hernandez had sexually assaulted the teen in various places in the borough over the last three years.
County Youth Services is caring for her for now.
Police were about to arrest Cruz-Hernandez, but say a woman close to him tipped him off, and he fled. That woman is now under arrest.
"I am convinced that we will find him and we will bring him back here. That's what should happen and historically we have been able to do that. We are talking about it publically because we believe it really will help our efforts," said D.A. Ferman.
Prosecutors are coming forward with this horrible and delicate story because they fear Cruz-Hernandez may not be within their grasp much longer.
He is a Mexican national, and they believe he has already left Pennsylvania.
Anyone with information on Cruz-Hernandez' whereabouts is urged to contact police immediately.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, norristown news, sex assault, rape, local/state
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police